Saturday, August 13, 2022

Go on be courageous.


Earlswood Lakes 

The other day I decided to be brave and pop out to do some plein air art. I’m not going to say I was confident, because it sure took me out of my comfort zone. I tend to like doing things at home, in the quiet, with no one watching or asking to see my work. 


Yep, I’m not the bravest of people and I do believe that it’s because I get  worried about “Putting myself out there” I kept thinking I am not an artist, I was so hung up about it that I did stifle my creativity and I stopped myself from looking at the landscape I wanted to paint and exploring what it was I wanted to do. I know this because I can now see my composition was dreadful, my approach was all wrong and all because I panicked and thought I must put something down on paper soon. Consequently I created an art block and stopped  my imagination to flow through. 


Once I started to realise this I ceased panicking and used the time to sketch an outline of the landscape and because I realised, I didn’t have to do it right there and then. It’s not necessary to get the art right straight away, since I can always do it again. It’s not necessary about the process. What I realised it’s about letting go of fears and being brave to get out there and - just do it - 


It reminded me of the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: “It’s not the Destination, It's the Journey.”


The journey of discovery for me was quite powerful. I realised that if I hadn’t gone on that plein air art adventure  I wouldn’t have experienced a new level of confidence. It has helped me face a fear of thinking that I can’t paint, well how daft is that, since we all can. What I have learnt it’s not about my fear of not being able to paint, but about the experience of discovering my approach to my own way of painting.


I’m so glad that I did join in that day by the lake with a group of other artists, I throughly enjoyed myself. It helped me realise that being courageous can  help you embrace your fears and that you may start to believe in yourself. 


So embrace your courage, own it and don’t let fear own you.


Rough outline 


No comments:

Post a Comment