Friday, February 28, 2020

Coffee please



 Now in Cuba, at each placed we stayed, they would always give you a flask of very strong coffee, but also a separate flask with hot water. Word must have got out that I’m fussy. So, this meant I could have my morning coffee stress free and enjoy it. This also meant I didn't want to go out to find a coffee shop.

So, when we got to Boca de Camarioca and had our first breakfast, our lovely host Esli brought us our coffee. Gulp, it was the express cup, filled with strong black coffee, oh my what do I do, I cannot ask for a big cup with a jug of hot water, that would be like asking for a ruby, when someone has just given you a diamond. Now, I read that the Cubans love sugar in their coffee, and Elsi was pleased to show me the different types of sugar she had that we could try.





I have been lucky to have experienced different types of coffee over my travels, but none can really prepare you for Cuban coffee. Now, I confess, I  am a lover of coffee, but not strong, I like it hot and medium but with a smooth taste. I have to confess that wherever I go  I will take my cafetière along with a stash of coffee, on a just in case basis. I am never that keen on very strong coffee, and it has always been a source of amusement when we find a lovely coffee shop to try and explain, please espresso in large cup with jug of hot water. Or in some places Americana with a jug of hot water, and no i can't have milk, thank you. 


When I said ‘No azucar gracious” there was a look of surprise, so as not to offend I gulped the coffee down and quickly drank a load of water. The water does give you a lovely after tastes and I can see why you have water with an expresso , yes I have finally caught up with all the Europeans. 

The following morning we had a fabulous breakfast, it was a feast. Then came the coffee, gulp, oh and there was no water in sight, double gulp. So, I thought, as in Rome follow the same custom. So I ripped open a packet of sugar and poured it in, Stirred it and then took a sip. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was so delicious, it was like a  liqueur  and after that I developed a new relationship with coffee. 

I now often have a cuban coffee after dinner, - be rude not too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment