Friday, February 24, 2017

Milford Sound - No idea why it is called that!

Mildford Sound
The alarm went off at 6.00am! What, I am supposed to be on holiday, I was up this early only one day ago..pfft. Then I remembered its tour day. A drive in a coach then a cruise on a boat to see some wonderful sights.

We both got ready and I eagerly thought we would get the front seats on the coach hehe, cause i knew we were going straight to the centre for 7.20am whereas we were told the others were being picked up on route. So I was gobsmacked to see two people sitting on the coach already at 7.15am. Unbelievable, “I bet they are German” I said to Tony. I resigned myself to the fact perhaps one of them gets travel sickness. I got on the coach and settled down for the 2-hour journey. 

Now, did I mention the weather? the day before it was sunny and the drive from Stewart Island the day before that, the weather was sunny. So, it looked promising, but oh no, it rained and it rained. We had to get out of the coach after an hour to do the compulsory tourist photo shoot at the first scenic passing. In the rain, but it was OK, they gave us umbrellas. We did a 5-minute little walk and got back on the coach, wet and smelling of rain, I wasn't impressed.



However, on a more interesting note; It is said that the Maori discovered Milford Sound over a 1,000 years ago. Originally it was called Piopiotahi after a native thrush bird. There is a lovely story that the Maui tried to win immortality for all of mankind. The Maui died in the attempt to do this and this caused the piopio bird to fly through the valley singing a mourning tune at the loss. There is another story, but I really like this one, since I am a keen bird watcher and photographer of all feathered birds, so I am afraid you will have to google the alternative. 

It became know as Milford Sound back in 1912 when a European Settler called John Grono arrived and decided to rename it  Milford Sound, after Milford Haven in Wales.  Funny enough, James Cook the great explorer ignored the Fiord because of its narrow entrance from the sea to the Fiords. Just think if he hadn't it could now be called “Cooks Tours” instead of “Thomas Cooks tours”, silly boy.

We eventually got to the cruise terminal, where I hate to say there were hundreds of tourists and yes we were part of the tourists brigade. I tried my hardest to look like a non-tourist, but   knew it was hopeless, so I went with the flow.

We boarded our sweet little cruiser and looked for a seat. God damn it, all the window seats were taken. We eventually found a table in the middle of the boat. I thought, well thats OK cause if the waves get bumpy I will be OK. The last laugh was on the window tourists, cause when we got going and saw the amazing views, everyone rushed out and blocked their view, is it rude to chuckle.

That quickly turns into an artery 
To say the view was breathtaking is an understatement, it is, and even in bad weather (we still had rain) it was amazing. The waterfalls came tumbling down and made the rocks look as if they had little water veins being exposed and every now and again you would get to see the artery.
Reminds me of views of water


















Suddenly the guide over the tannoy tells us all to go to starboard and look at the rocks, there are fur seals lying asleep. Sure enough there they were. Stunning. Suddenly from no-where an iPhone photo man comes running past me saying “where is starboard, where are they” - heavy sigh.  Iphonephoto man strikes again. 

Fur Seals 


The one thing that really amused me on this trip, was when I decided to go inside to change my lens, I went through the door only to see an middle-aged lady looking at her iPhone - reading her Facebook posts. Yep, and these lovely fur seals were just outside


Unbelievable!


No comments:

Post a Comment